Liberal Arts Associate Programs FAQ

Can I complete my liberal arts AA or AS degree entirely by examination?

No. As of January 1, 2012, all associate degree students are required to take an Excelsior College capstone course near the end of their degree program. This course must be taken online at Excelsior College.

Do you offer financial aid?

Federal and Financial aid is available regardless of income, with low interest rates and flexible payment options. Excelsior College is the pioneer in offering federal aid for a completely online education. Certificate programs do not qualify for financial aid.

Visit the Financial Aid pages

How can I get credit for my work/life experience?

We offer several ways to help you get credit for prior learning acquired outside college or university settings including Excelsior College® Examinations, other exams such as CLEP® or DSST® Examinations, training that has been evaluated by the American Council on Education or the National Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction, and portfolio-based assessment which is the assessment for possible credit of your prior learning through employment, community, volunteer, or other experiences.

What are the General Education Requirements?

Distribution requirements for general education ensure that all students develop basic competence (at least 100-level courses/examinations) in the areas of arts and sciences (humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and mathematics), as well as specific abilities in written English, ethics, and information literacy.

Learn more about General Education Requirements