Military and Veteran FAQ

Can I start my program at any time?

Excelsior College has continuous enrollment, and our flexibly-scheduled distance learning courses begin every other month throughout the year. Online courses are offered in 8 week and 15 week terms. Review our course search page for detailed information. Please contact an academic advisor for course approval to be sure the course(s) you choose will apply toward your remaining degree requirements.

Can I take proficiency examinations to earn credit toward a degree?

Yes. Excelsior College awards examination-related college credit via the following:

  • Excelsior College® Examinations
  • UExcel® examinations
  • Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Tests
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
  • Defense Language Proficiency Tests (DLPT)
  • IT certification examinations (Microsoft, Novell, CompTIA, Cisco, SUN, Oracle)
  • Other examinations that are recommended for credit by the American Council on Education (ACE)
Do I have to own a computer to do distance learning?

All distance learning courses require the use of a computer and reliable internet. You will need access to a computer to communicate with the facilitator and other students through the MyExcelsior Community.

Do I need to purchase textbooks for courses that I take?

Yes. Most courses require textbooks or other materials. Students can purchase texts through the Excelsior College Bookstore.

Do students pay in-state or out-of-state tuition rates?

The same rates for in-state and out-of-state students apply to undergraduate and graduate distance learning courses offered through Excelsior College.

Does Excelsior College accept credits from foreign institutions?

Yes. The credits must have come from an accredited university or college and have been evaluated by an international equivalency institution. Excelsior College uses Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. To review the ECE applications, visit the ECE Web site.

Does Excelsior College offer scholarships to military, veterans, and family members?

Yes. They are eligible for all scholarships that are available to Excelsior College students. For further information, visit our Financial Aid page or email the Financial Aid office at

How many courses can I take at one time?

The number of courses taken at one time largely depends on your available free time. To ensure students are positioned for success, Excelsior does limit the number of credits one can register for at any given time. We suggest you make a course load decision based upon a realistic assessment of the amount of time you can devote to your studies. If you are enrolled in an Excelsior program, your academic advisor can assist you in developing a plan.

Is there a placement test?


Will courses from other colleges transfer into my partnership school degree plan?

Yes. Excelsior College recognizes college-level courses completed at other accredited colleges and universities, as well as appropriate military experience. Contact your military consultant or our Center for Military and Veteran Education at for an unofficial review. Academic advisors evaluate student transcripts from other colleges and universities during the evaluation process, and there is no limit on the number of transfer credits accepted. Credits transferred must apply to specific degree requirements.

Will I be assigned an advisor, and if so, will I be able to communicate with that person on a regular basis?

All students enrolled in a degree program are assigned a team of academic advisors to assist with the development of their degree roadmaps upon completion of the initial evaluation. You will be able to communicate with the advisors on your advising team via telephone, email, fax, and Message Center. Military Academic Advisors are also available to answer military and veteran-related questions.

Will military tuition assistance cover the costs for this type of study?

Yes. Undergraduate courses can be covered 100% by military tuition assistance (TA). For more information about tuition assistance for your branch, contact your Education Center or military education counselor.